Monday, March 3, 2014

Sea legs and jellyfish

If you ever boated before you will know things take longer then usual on boats. projects seem to take days.Thought we had the heads running ,well the were both leaking. not good in a boat or anywhere for that matter.The forward selinoid vent thing started acting up. this is the supply of salt water to the head inside the cabinet, not exactly where you want salt water. Nikita had worked on it the day before no susses. The back head (thats why they call me the head mechanic)leaks at the back, where you can't see, so I pulled the thing onto the dock and replaced the seals, oh and one of the four bolts (stales steel) had rusted off.after the install it still leaked.One of my lower moments. I think it took 3 Cervazas to cure.After buying a new O ring the forward head was back in duty, the aft took a full rebuild of the electrical moter, actually just a seal on the shaft but took the whole thing apart just cause I enjoy this kind of work. Everyone went shopping for provisions it was the last day for the rental car. With all this fun we had a small weather window on Saterday that we could not make. so we are fixing the last of the little things, including flushing the water maker. Today we went out for our first sail (sunday) after pancakes of coarse. What a lovely time everything worked even though we got out around the point and the wind blew and the seas got to over 4ft, so we turned around and anchored in an small cove. the kids swam, fed the gulls and snorkeled. It was truly beautiful until the discovery of jellyfish. Nikita got stung on the chest and Shane on the leg. I was in my glory for I was making fresh water down below. we needed to make it back in time to meet the upholstery guy, and besides the wind was gusty. Shane steered us in to the Marina where the gusts were over 25kts. I took over to get us onto the dock. I eased off on the throttle but we were doing 5kts so I put it into neutral, still too fast, reverse to act as a brake, now the steering is unpredictable. Crap Our neighbours Good News are on the dock to receive us. we are coming in just a tad off but OK the wind is on the stern pushing us, I need to throw it in reverse again. Dock lines off ,crew off all looks good, we didn't hit. I put it into neutral, just about to shut the key off ,something stops me. I jump off, notice no spring line yet. I ask Nikita for the spring line, he does reluctantly, he was holding the boat, I realize the cleat is not in a great place to retie. the boat travels forward, its now blowing 25kts steady, boat is picking up speed. the boys got trouble with the stern line its tangled. someone yells reverse, we are going to hit. I jump on board but Kiya has put it in reverse already, like a saving angel, I throttle up, we didn't hit but our bow sprint is over the dock and it looks like it. all the lines get fixed, another spring gets put out from the bow. what a scare. everyone is hyped up. Nikita puts a second stern line on. Shane a second bow line. All is good, we thank everyone for being there, as our neighbours walk away I realize Gypsywinds' engine is still running; I reluctantly shut it off. Tied to A17 in San Carlos Marina Gypsywind and crew

No comments: